- RSS Channel Showcase 6795196
- RSS Channel Showcase 2550773
- RSS Channel Showcase 8442255
- RSS Channel Showcase 1017722
Articles on this Page
- 08/23/15--14:09: _महत्वपूर्ण खबरें और...
- 08/23/15--14:47: _जिसके पास उधार के उ...
- 08/23/15--14:49: _घोर जनविरोधी, भयंकर...
- 08/23/15--14:50: _विकसित देशों में और...
- 08/24/15--08:08: _Baat Cheet Topic: M...
- 08/24/15--08:12: _Protest documentary...
- 08/24/15--08:13: _CC News Letter 24 A...
- 08/24/15--10:39: _Dow Jones Industria...
- 08/24/15--10:40: _Indian Express Repo...
- 08/24/15--10:43: _Sensex closes 1624-...
- 08/24/15--10:44: _Top Headlines: NSA ...
- 08/24/15--11:01: _After FTII – The Os...
- 08/24/15--11:04: _Police Molest And A...
- 08/24/15--11:07: _Why there’s no need...
- 08/24/15--11:09: _A promise ends in a...
- 08/24/15--11:11: _Rohtak sisters want...
- 08/24/15--11:14: _Why repression of a...
- 08/24/15--11:43: _महत्वपूर्ण खबरें और...
- 08/24/15--23:03: _মাতৃভূমি দখল নিয়ে ফ...
- 08/24/15--23:04: _মুক্ত বাজারে রক্তপাত
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 23:00:43 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 22:24:46 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 22:13:16 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:51:47 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:06:00 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 16:05:41 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 15:45:11 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 15:22:32 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 12:46:29 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 12:30:37 +0000
Posted:Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:29:47 +0000
Posted:Sat, 22 Aug 2015 18:04:28 +0000
Posted:Sat, 22 Aug 2015 17:13:48 +0000
Posted:Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:46:16 +0000
Posted:Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:13:10 +0000
Posted:Sat, 22 Aug 2015 15:49:42 +0000
- 08/23/15--14:50: विकसित देशों में और अपने देश में केवल एक अन्तर नजर आता है. वह यह की उन देशों के सिस्टम में जरा भी लचीलापन नहीं है. वहाँ ’चलता है’ सिरे से गायब है और अपने देश का सिस्ट्म इतना लचीला है कि यहाँ ’चलता है’ के अलावा कुछ दिखाई ही नहीं देता. यहाँ तक कि और तो और न्याय की सर्वोच्च पीठ के पीछे तराजू लिये न्याय की देवी भी न्याय करने से पहले प्राय: आखों पर बँधी पट्टी के कोने से पात्र की सामाजिक राजनीतिक और आर्थिक हैसियत देख लेती है
- 08/24/15--10:39: Dow Jones Industrial Average Plummets More Than 1,000 Points at Open
- 08/24/15--10:43: Sensex closes 1624-points down; investors lose Rs 7 lakh crore
- 08/24/15--11:07: Why there’s no need to be nostalgic for an undivided India
- 08/24/15--11:09: A promise ends in a riot #WTFnews
- 08/24/15--11:14: Why repression of adivasis in Chhattisgarh doesn’t worry the media
- 08/24/15--11:43: महत्वपूर्ण खबरें और आलेख [DESHBANDHU]
- 08/24/15--23:03: মাতৃভূমি দখল নিয়ে ফের গুন্ডারাজ
- 08/24/15--23:04: মুক্ত বাজারে রক্তপাত
Current Feed Content
As part of the countrywide protest screenings of 'Muzaffarnagar Baaqi Hai' on 25th August(see partial countrywide list below), Cinema of Resistance (Kolkata chapter) has organised a protest screening at -
Post-screening, we will have representatives of the protesting FTII students interact with us and add to our conversation over the film and our times.
Please reach in good numbers, spread the news and defeat the fascist forces trying to muzzle the voices of truth, justice and dissent.
For more detail please check our full approach statement below, and our facebook page - 'Cinema of Resistance'.
National Convener, Cinema of Resistance
Convener, Kolkata, Cinema of Resistance
Countrywide Protest Screenings in solidarity with voices of truth from Muzaffarnagar and Nakul Singh Sawhney's film 'Muzaffarnagar Baaqi Hai..'
On August 1st 2015 members of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad exhibiting habitual hooliganism forcefully stopped the screening of Nakul Singh Sawhney-directed documentary, 'Muzaffarnagar Baaqi Hai..' at Delhi's Kirori Mal College. Videos witnessing this incidence of violent disruption of the screening can be seen in Facebook, Twitter and other social media.
'Muzaffarnagar Baaqi Hai…' is a documentary film that quite courageously reveals the conspiracy of the ruling class political parties which deliberated communal massacres to grab political power by-hook-or-by-crook, in their opportunist alliance with the new lumpen capitalist and feudal forces in the society during August-September 2013 in Uttar Pradesh. This documentary is significant in the times when the media, co-opted by the crony capitalist corporate forces, has turned into a fabrication machine than being the fourth pillar of democracy supposed to project truth and reality.
Narendra Dabholkar, veteran activist who fought vigorously against superstitions was brutally murdered in 2013. Artists of Kabir Kala Manch were put behind bars because their songs were considered seditious! In 2015, comrade Govind Pansare who ferociously blew away communal iconization of Shivaji, was assassinated in the daylight. Teesta Setalwad and Sanjeev Bhatt are continuously being framed and cornered by the state machinery. The same city of Pune where the innocent Mohsin Sheikh was lynched for wearing markers of his faith, also witnessed disruptions during the screening of documentary filmmaker Anand Patwardhan's iconic film, 'Ram ke Nam'. While the Ambedkar Periyar Study Circle faced a ban at IIT Madras; Tamil writer Murugan had to declare the 'writer' in him 'dead' under fascist pressures. Without any evidence an intellectual and teacher like G. N. Saibaba was incarcerated in Nagpur jail in precarious health conditions. FTII students struggling for their democratic rights were arrested at midnight and every force is used to try and crush their movement. Debaranjan Sarangi, a filmmaker and human rights activist from Odisha was framed with false charges. And on the other side killers associated with the Ranveer Sena and Bajrang Dal - who boasted of massacres on camera - were let go scot-free and let out on bail respectively. What do all these country-wide incidences suggest?
It appears that there has been a torrent of such incidences as mentioned above. Many a time we don't even get the information of prevalence of such repressions in different corners in India. It is possible to bring them in light only by building strong and united resistance against these dark times. This is precisely the reason why Cinema of Resistance does not look at incidence of muting 'Muzaffarnagar Baaqi Hai..' at Kirori Mal as an isolated incidence, rather it is observed as a dangerously fascist tendency that strangles the democratic spirit. Strong, committed resistance even by putting our lives at stake is the only possible mechanism to impede this trend. We take immense pleasure to share with you that this appeal of ours to respond by arranging countrywide protest screenings was welcomed from various corners of the country and till this date we are informed that this protest will be organized in 22 states, 50 cities/towns and with more than 60 screenings.
We appeal to all progressive and democratic spirited citizens, artists, and intellectuals, to expose fascist forces in this country by joining hands in this campaign of protest-screening of Nakul Singh Sawhney's film 'Muzaffarnagar Baaqi Hai…' on August 25th, 2015.
ENTRY FREE AND OPEN TO ALL
ABOUT US: Cinema of Resistance (Kolkata Chapter) organizes an annual film festival, called the Kolkata People's Film Festival, in January. Throughout the year, we organize monthly film screenings in Kolkata and also travel in Kolkata and its neighbouring districts (such as North and South 24 Pargnas, Hooghly, Howrah, Birbhum, Nadia etc.) to screen films and hold discussions/dialogues on invitation from non-funded like-minded groups, unions and organizations. We are particularly interested in screening amongst workers, women, children and young adults, civil society groups and folks in general who are allies of people's movements.
To organize a show in your locality please write to firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a message at 9163736863. We will get back to you.To join our initiative, please contact us in the manner above, or simply turn up at one of our screenings for a face-to-face chat!
A partial list of countrywide protest screenings
(A) On the country-wide protest day, 25th August
- Ahmedabad - students of IIM
<IIM Ahmedabad | 25 Aug>
- Banaras - Organized by All India People's Forum and Cinema of Resistance, Banaras chapter
<Swayamvar Vatika, outside Lanka Gate, Banaras | 25 Aug | 4 pm>
- Bangalore - Organized by Law and Society Committee, NLSIU, Bangalore
<Academic Block, National Law School of India University | 25th August | 9 pm>
- Bangalore - Organized by Amarkant and team
<Pixel B, Azim Premji University, Bangalore | 25th August | 4:30 pm>
- Bangalore - Organized by Khulamanch
<Cobalt Blr 46/1, 5th Floor, Church Street, Shanthala Nagar, Ashok Nagar, Opposite Hotel Empire, Bengaluru | 25th August | 7 pm>
- Bhagalpur - Organized by All India People's Forum
<Rajkeey Kalyaan Chhatravas No. 2, Bhagalpur University Campus | 25th August | 2 pm>
- Bhubaneshwar - Organized by All India People's Forum, Odisha
<Nagabhushan Bhavan auditorium | 25th August | 5:30 pm>
- Chandigarh - Organized by Cinema Of Resistance Chandigarh Chapter
- Chennai - Organized by Ambedkar Periyar Study Circle
<Spaces, Eliots Beach, Besant Nagar | 25th Aug | 6 pm>
- Chittorgarh - Organized by Cinema Of Resistance Chittorgarh Chapter
- Delhi - Organized by Cinema Of Resistance Delhi/NCR Chapter
<Gandhi Peace Foundation | 25th August | 5 pm>
- Delhi - Organized by Studio Safdar
<Studio Safdar and May Day Bookstore and Cafe | 25th August | 6 pm>
- Delhi - Organized by Aveksha - The theatre society of USS, Indraprastha University
<Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, C- block auditorium | 25th August | 3 pm>
- Dungarpur - Home Screening organized by Pragnya Joshi
<Pragati Nagar | 25th August | 5 pm>
- Faizabad - Organised by Jan Manch, Faizabad
<Tarang Cinema Palace, Faizabad | 25th August>
- Faridabad - Organized by Ideosync Media Combine
<Ideosync, H. No. 1381, Sector 37, Faridabad | 25th August | 3 pm>
- Gorakhpur - Organized by Cinema Of Resistance Gorakhpur Chapter
- Gurgaon - Organized by Chill Box
<Chill Box - 234/2, Opp main BSNL Exchange, Sector 12, Old Delhi Road, Gurgaon | 25th August | 7:30 pm>
- Jamshedpur - Office Screening organized by Kumar Gaurav
<Meeting Hall, AMG News. Super Market, Near Kagalnagar Petrol Pump, Sonari, Jamshedpur | 25th Aug | 5 pm>
- Kolkata - Organized by Cinema Of Resistance Kolkata Chapter
<Muktangan Rangalaya, Rashbehari Avenue | 25th Aug | 6 pm>
- Kolkata - Organized by students, professors, staff of Film Studies Department, Jadavpur University
<Film Studies Seminar Room, JU | 25th Aug | 3 pm>
- Kolkata - Organized by Democratic Youth Federation of India, Jadavpur-Tollygunge northeast local committee
<Open air, opposite Jadavpur supermarket | 25th August | 8 pm>
- Lucknow - Organized by Cinema of Resistance Lucknow Chapter
<Lenin Pustak Kendra, 82/118 Guru Govind Singh Marg, Bhedi Mandi, Lal Kuan | 25th August | 4 pm>
- Madurai - Organized by Makkal thirai, Chaplin talkies and Ilan Thamizhagam
<Venue: TBD | 25th August>
- Mathura - Organized by film society activists
<Venue: TBD | 25th Aug>
- Mumbai - Organized by Progressive Students' Forum, TISS, Mumbai
- Mumbai - Organized by Democratic Youth Federation of India, Powai unit
<People's Library, Powai | 25th August | 7 pm>
- Nainital - Organized by Cinema of Resistance Nainital Chapter
<Nainital Press Club (near Central Hotel), Mall Road | 25th August | 4 pm>
- Patiala - Organized by Gurmeet Singh and Nazia Dhanju
<Bhasha Bhavan, Patiala | 25th August | 5:30 pm>
- Raipur - Organized by students of National Law University, Raipur
- Shantiniketan - Organized by All India Students Association
<Purbapally, near Department of Mass Comm. | 25th Aug | 6 pm>
- Tiruchi - Organized by Ambedkar Periyar Study Circle, Tiruchi
<Venue: TBD | 25th August>
- Tuljapur - Organized by TISS Tuljapur Film Club
<Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Tuljapur | 25th August | 9:15 pm>
- Udaipur - Organized by Cinema Of Resistance Udaipur Chapter
<16/723, Ganesh Nagar, Pahada, Udaipur, between Sukhadia University main gate to Bohra Ganesh Mandir | 25th August | 6:30 pm>
- Vishakhapatnam - Organized by Human Rights Forum
<Visakha Public Library, Dwarakanagar | 25th August | 6 pm>
(B) On other days around 25th August
- Allahabad - Organized by Cinema Of Resistance Allahabad Chapter
<Auditorium, Allahabad Centre, Mahatama Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishvidyalay, Civil Lines | 22nd August | 4 pm>
- Azamgarh - Organized by Cinema Of Resistance Azamgarh Chapter
<Tahbarpur High School, Tahbarpur Bazaar | 22nd August | 5 pm>
- Bhopal - Organized by Ektara Collective, Vikalp Sanskritik Manch and Madhya Pradesh Mahila Manch
<Dushyanth Kumar Pustakalay, Opp. Platinum Plaza, Bhopal | 5th September | 5 pm>
- Delhi - Organized by Faculty Feminist Collective, JNU
<Room 229, SIS 2 (New Building) | 13th August | 5 pm>
- Gangtok - Organized by student groups
<5th mile, Tadong | 21st Aug | 4 pm>
- Howrah - Organized by Bajeshibpur Jubak Samiti
<Bajeshibpur Jubak Samiti Club | 15th Aug | 4 pm>
- Jalandhar - Organized by The People's Voice, Jalandhar
<Desh Bhagat Yadgar Hall, Jalandhar | 23rd August | 5 pm>
- Kolkata - Organized by Center for Studies in Social Sciences, Kolkata
<CSSSC's Seminar Room, Patuli Campus | 21st Aug | 3 pm>
- Kottayam - Organized by Department Students' Union, Mahatma Gandhi University
<MGU Campus | 18th Aug | 2 pm>
- Nashik - Organized by Vikrant Bachhav
<Screening Hall, Abhivyakti Media, Kalyani Nagar, Anandwali Shivar, Gangapur Road, Nashik | 26th Aug | 4 pm>
- Pondicherry - Organized by Agora Discussion Forum, Pondicherry University
<Dept. of Mass Communication, PU | 26th Aug | 5 pm>
- Silchar - Organized by Udharbandh Cine Club
<Udharbandh Cine Club, Kachhar, Assam | 30th August>
- Sonepat - Organized by a student group in Ashoka University
<Ashoka University, Kundli, Sonepat | 20th August | 6 pm>
If you think the content of this news letter is critical for the dignified living and survival of humanity and other species on earth, please forward it to your friends and spread the word. It's time for humanity to come together as one family! You can subscribe to our news letter here http://www.countercurrents.org/subscribe.htm. You can also follow us on twitter, http://twitter.com/countercurrents and on Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/countercurrents
War Refugees Trapped, Under Fire Trying To Enter Macedonia
Several thousand rain-soaked war refugees and asylum-seekers ran across Macedonia's border from Greece Saturday as riot police chased them lobbing stun grenades, tear gas and beating them with batons. The violence came as Macedonia is cracking down on the flow of thousands of Syrian war refugees attempting to reach safety in western Europe by traveling through the Balkan region
Unite Against Communal Fascism: Fr Ajaya Kumar Singh
Living an ostrich like existence in the face of growing communal fascism will lead the country to destruction said Fr Ajaya Kumar Singh, one of the leading campaigners of Kandhamal justice movement. He said the Hindutva fascist forces are adopting the same tactics that they used in Odisha in Kerala too
The Wild Edge Of Sorrow
A Book Review By Carolyn Baker
Grief work is unique to each person grieving. There is no one way to grieve in a world where everyone and everything is inundated with sorrow and loss. Nevertheless, The Wild Edge of Sorrow, empathically and compassionately shows us how to begin the descent and how we might intertwine our journey with the journeys of others who long to engage in the sacred work of grief. For there, in the cold, dark well are bright, golden coins of joy and gratitude
The Pernicious Math Of Plutocracy
By Romi Mahajan
We have gotten to a point in which the "facts" of the world read like fiction of the absurd. One person's blink of the eye is equivalent to another's life of toil. This is the pernicious math of plutocracy and it has to be undone
Sri Lanka Parliamentary Polls 2015: What Does It Mean To Us?
By Nilantha Ilangamuwa
An argumentative, free thinking and free speaking political culture, buried for decades is once again sprouting with good hopes and dreams in Sri Lanka. Such trends will construct space for healthy social discourse which can, hopefully, re-engineer the nation
Re-Reading 'Manjhi-The Mountain Man'
By Adfar Shah
Already in the political limelight even before its formal release, Manjhi is set to make a big success at box office. Manjhi -The Mountain Man is actually a biography that is based on the life of India's Mountain man, Dashrath Manjhi who was a poor man (labourer) from Gehlaur village of Gaya, Bihar. Dashrat carved a path through a huge mountain for twenty two years as a token of love to his deceased wife, who died after slipping from the same mountain and couldn't reach the far off hospital on time
False Case Slapped Against Debaranjan Sarangi
By Concerned Citizens
False case slapped against Mr. Debaranjan Sarangi, a human rights activist and a member of Ganatrantik Adhikar Surakshya Sangathan, Odisha, by the police of Malkanagiri District
OROP: Where Is The Bitterness?
By Maj Gen S.G.Vombatkere (Retd)
Veterans' peaceful and dignified agitation including relay fast for OROP at Jantar Mantar has crossed the 2-month mark. The ill-conceived police action against demonstrating Veterans on August 14 raised nation-wide condemnation and media attention, and caused two Veterans to start an indefinite fast. Veterans hold PM Narendra Modi along with his cabinet of Defence, Home and Finance ministers accountable, while on the opposite side, some persons are stating obstacles to OROP
Suicide-Bombing Is Not Islamic
By Maulana Wahiduddin Khan
Today, in line with their degenerate communal mindset, a phenomenon has emerged among large sections of Muslims which is an extreme form of tahleel-e-haram, or making the unlawful lawful. And that is suicide-bombing—or, in other words, strapping bombs onto oneself and blowing oneself up in order to kill a supposed enemy
Citizens for Legitimate Government (CLG)
P.O. Box 1142
Bristol, CT 06011-1142
Contributions to CLG are not tax deductible.
After FTII – The Oscar goes to .. Gujarati BJP Man in Jury #HaHanews #WTFnews
Police Molest And Assault Students At Presidency For Protesting CM Visit #WTFnews
Why there's no need to be nostalgic for an undivided India
Lord Mountbatten and Pandit Jawaharlal Nehruphotographed during the Independence Day Celebrations at India Gate, New Delhi on August 15, 1947. (HT Photo)
Why repression of adivasis in Chhattisgarh doesn't worry the media